vallisneria spiralis
    Nymphoides sp. ''Taiwan'' (041B)
    Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
    ANUBIAS NANA
    RED FLAME SWORD PLANT
    Brazilian Pennywort
    HYGROPHILA CORYMBOSA STRICTA
    Amazon sword

Ive had this tank running for 3 or four months.And slowly added plants ,driftwood from meeting and fish .
    Started with some tetras (cardinals and red eye) and just added 5 discus from auction.All the plants are growing like crazy but im getting long fuzzy
    crap all over the driftwood and plants . Its turning the leaves brownish black and i have to wipe it off . its also is getting the roots of the anubias. When i brush it off the driftwood & plants with a toothbrush it clouds the tank up and makes it filty . Its growing on my fluval intake tube and on the screen as well .i also have a 3d background that ive had for a few years in this tank and its covered with this stuff too .

What do i do . Ive turned the light off for a day now and bumped up the bps on my co2 .And also just did a 50% water changed and cleaned the inside of my canister filter . ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED.
    Last edited by Big Bill; 04-09-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member
    I had the same thing with my planted 29. I added 6 otto's and 8-10 red shrimp. They have done a great job and after two-three months the hairy algea problem is almost gone.
    Glenn

Dues paying Member since 2005

Having a hobby you truly enjoy is PRICELESS!

Wild Caught GCAS Member
    Whos got some ottos on here glenn .
    Its truly a major let down because this tank was so beautiful a month ago and now i just dont wanna look at it . Ive been cleaning the plants almost daily and it comes right back . Im going to only run the lights for 4 hours a day for the next week to see if that helps .

Juvy GCAS Member
    What are you feeding the tank?

When I was in high school in the late 90s, I worked at a pet store. I remember at that time that Wardley, who was not yet owned by Hartz, reformulated their flake food. Their rep bragged about how they either had less phosphorous or didn't have any in their new formulation, and thus it would result in a lack of algae (can't remember which...it was about 13 years ago). I guess the point being that, although I don't have a planted tank at present, if you are feeding a food with a lot of phosphorous or using a fertilizer that has phosphorous or phosphates, then that could be part of the problem. Food for thought anyway.

Wild Caught GCAS Member
    a tiny bit of flake and mainly beef heart . its not the food thats one thing i do know about it

Big Fish GCAS Member
    Is it long and fuzzy, or a diatom coating, or both?

A close up pic would help!
    "My dither fish need dither fish!"

Thread Information