Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just love "Tubbin Time"!

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaddiction View Post
    Well done Marcus! Your tubs make mine look like rather morbid...
    One reason they look morbid, is you use casket vault liners as tubs... ( thank you for mine btw !!! )

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

Mina - I've not tubbed FLA Flagfish - but I know the folks at Indoor Outdoor Aquatics have... I did see some Flagfish over there a couple months ago. Give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Thanks for sharing pics! Awesome!

I don't know if I'll be up to it this summer, but just in case- Two questions, everybody.

1. Has anyone done American Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) in a tub? If so, what size tub did you use/how densely did you stock it (without filtration)? Where did you get them?

2. What does everyone do with their tub fish at the end of the season?

I did a tub once about ten years ago. It was whiskey barrel sized. I called it my "cultivated puddle". It had Anacharis, Water Hyacinth, Dwarf Water Lily, and Mint with either some Gambusia or Medaka, can't remember which. I loved it!
    Eric Jacobsen
    Dues paying member of GCAS since '06
    Swap Meet Chairman

Monster Fish GCAS Member J.Sipes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Thanks for sharing pics! Awesome!

I don't know if I'll be up to it this summer, but just in case- Two questions, everybody.

1. Has anyone done American Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) in a tub? If so, what size tub did you use/how densely did you stock it (without filtration)? Where did you get them?

2. What does everyone do with their tub fish at the end of the season?

I did a tub once about ten years ago. It was whiskey barrel sized. I called it my "cultivated puddle". It had Anacharis, Water Hyacinth, Dwarf Water Lily, and Mint with either some Gambusia or Medaka, can't remember which. I loved it!
    I tubbed these fish in a 100 gallon tub and in an 600-700 gallon tub with the same results.. tons of fry. I also learned that flag fish and rosy barbs survived the first layer of thin ice on the top of a tub. I thought I had emptied the tub of fish and refilled to rinse and forgot to re-drain. needless to say they were alive and well.. I got mine when I worked for a pet shop and they thought the were illegal to sell and gave me the 25 or so they had. All 25 in the 100 gallon with water lettuce and few marginals and no filter other than the plants. I only filter my koi tub since it is very heavily stocked.
    John Sipes

-------------------------------------------------------
    "The Catfish is a Plenty Good Enough Fish For Anyone"
    Mark Twain

Big Fish GCAS Member
    Awesome, thanks guys!
    I was at Monfort today for other business, and saw they had some FL flag fish. I'm tempted!

Also, ACIDRAIN, was it you looking for Parrot Feather? They had some at Monfort.
    "My dither fish need dither fish!"

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

Thanks Mina, yes I was. Was going to order some online actually next week. I'll have to hit Monfort instead. Going to hit Indoor outdoor aquatics Tues or Wed, so I'll just make a side stop at Monfort as well! Thanks a bunch Mina!
    There is always a bigger fish. . . . . .

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

The 7:00 AM water temp in my 110 G tub was 63 F. I think another week's worth of warm-up might be in order before any fish go in. A couple inexpensive lily pad plants (like Marcus's) are in the tub. Another very cool plant I picked up at World Of Pets is a Longwood Cana - a 3' to 4' flowering tropical plant that grows with roots fully submerged - like a cattail.
    World Of Pets also had some Florida Flag Fish... I bought the last two females they had in stock - so call ahead if you're interested in that particular species.
    Eric Jacobsen
    Dues paying member of GCAS since '06
    Swap Meet Chairman

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

Some up dated pics;

Mina this is what I was wanting the Parrots Feather for;

Eric, it may still be a bit chilly at night, but my plants are loving it! Already blooming!

Some new plants I have aquired;
    One on left is Mimulus ringens (Lavendar Musk) Will have little purple flowers in between the leaves that kind of look like snap dragons. Lots of pics of it on google.
    The one on the right is Hibiscus moscheutos (Dwarf Aqua Red).

This is gonna be a big one, gets over 5 feet tall. But will be beautiful with big flowers on it!
    This is Hibiscus coccinius (Swamp Hibiscus)

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

So tubbers, how's it going? I have a couple tubs filled with fry! And many plants blooming! Let us know how all your tubs are working out.

And post us some pics of your tubs!

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

Some pics of my tubs now;

The 150 on the porch. You may notice it has "safety netting" on it. Yep, I lost two schools of fish, jumpers. So I put up this safety net around it. It's 6 inches tall, made from a wood tomato stake and some plastic screen. Cost; less than $5. No losses since put up.

Mimulus ringens (Lavendar Musk) is doing very well.

Flower on the Mimulus ringens (Lavendar Musk). It was loaded with them last week, but now has twice as many new flower buds coming in. Can't wait to see it fully loaded with these little beauties.

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

More tub pics now;

Hibiscus coccinius (Swamp Hibiscus) now. It is over 3 feet tall right now. It became so root grown, that I re-potted it for a second time since buying it. I think I shocked it for a few weeks each time I re-potted it. Because it seemed to stop growing for a couple weeks each time. But is back to growing. Don't know if I will get to see any flowers yet this year.

The new pickerel coming in nicely and the parrots feather around the turtle.

And some very large beautiful flowers coming out on the Hibiscus moscheutos (Dwarf Aqua Red). These flowers are about the size half way between a cup saucer and a dinner plate. Hopefully will get some seeds off this one to start some next year to spread out amongst all my tubbin buddies!

Thread Information