Thread: Tubbing time!

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

Tubbing time!

I need recomondations for plants and fish. I've read about water lillies and hornwart, and livebearers. What are your thoughts, suggestions?
    Glenn

Dues paying Member since 2005

Having a hobby you truly enjoy is PRICELESS!

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

What size tubs you have?
    There is always a bigger fish. . . . . .

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member
    Two 30's, I believe........
    Glenn

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

I would go with some killis, or native minnows maybe. Something on the smaller side. The Rainbows need more room than that in my opinion. Maybe some of the blue eyed Rainbows if you might want to try them. I am thinking about trying some of the blue eyed Rainbows in one of the smaller tubs myself. I have never had much luck with livebearers in small tubs either. The smaller the tub, the less live foods in it. So more of a chance of eating fry for any of them. And is a good idea to supplement their live foods with some flake and such. killis is what I have had the most luck with in the 30 gal and under tubs. With a good covering of Water Hyacinth or Water Lettuce. Many of the fish tend to jump more in the smaller tubs than they do in larger ones, so a good top covering of plants is good. And they oxygenate the water very good too. As well as help keep it cool in the hotter months.

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member
    I will be in upstate NY next month and can catch some "native minnows" in the creek behind my Uncles house. That's if the winter melt hasn't kept the "shallow" rapid running creek, swollen and very high. The water is awfully cold there too, so that might be a problem. Thoughts?
    Glenn

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

I was also thinking some long finned rosey barbs. I did mine in a 30 gal tub the first time. I think the long fins slow them down enough to let the fry stay away from them.

As for the natives, that should be fine, but you don't have to go all the way up there to collect them, lol. Plenty of them local around here. But who knows, maybe you will find something hard to get up there, I say go for it Glen!

Thread Information