Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2769

Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2783
Anablep fry

Thread: Anablep fry

Wild Caught GCAS Member

Anablep fry

After a couple of months of carrying....

finally...

Can you believe all these came out of the same fish just yesterday ! ?

2 inches long - nose to tail tip and 3/8" wide. They were skinned up pretty good but are healing up nicely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anableps-fry-day-2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	772
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5977_1_1.JPG   IMG_5972_1_1.JPG   IMG_5989_1_1.JPG   IMG_5991_1_1.JPG  
    Last edited by bubbles; 04-29-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Monster Fish GCAS Member Darryl's Avatar
    That's awesome Mike!!!! Congrats on your successful spawn!!! LMK when you sell the parents, lol
    Darryl (o\ ! /o)

Wild Caught GCAS Member
    Officer
    Blog Entries
    Congrats Mike. I know you were working with them for a while. Must be very satisfying to see the fry (juvies!).
    Tanganyikans Rule! Currently breeding Shell dwellers, Sandsifters, Cyprichromis, Featherfins, and other Tanganyikan oddities.
    Check out: leisingsaquatics.weebly.com

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Board Member

very nice dude! Let me know before you let Daryl know when you are gonna sell the parents and/or the fry! hehehe
    There is always a bigger fish. . . . . .

Fry GCAS Member
    Congrats!!!! I would love to have some fry when you're ready. Guess there will be a bidding war.

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Officer
    Congrats Mike that's awesome !! Let me know, before Marcus and Darryl if you're going to sell those parents

Wild Caught GCAS Member
    Board Member
    That's a real nice spawn you've got there mike!
    "The Dude abides..."

Wild Caught GCAS Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

I think these things are pretty easy to spawn.... like guppies. The hardest part for us was simply getting a few males. Dave Cook put me onto a group at the Saltwater Warehouse (pretty sure it was Dave, my PMs are gone... could have been Klaus... either way thanks guys!). They were a bit young and they didn't want to sex them, so I took my best guess at 3 and 3 and it turned out right. But, since they were so young we then had to wait for them to grow out. In February I noticed they were mating but it's about impossible to assign a date... unless I put them together for a few days and then separate them again (we didn't). Finally, one of our original females threw this group and it looks like 1 of the young females should throw another group soon.

The real enjoyment though is that these things become almost like family and its hard to get rid of them... much like our puffers. Talk about personalities.... these things pretty much jump out of the tank when you approach for feeding time and just slop all over each other waiting for the food. Piece of cake to feed them out of your fingers too. They eat like pigs, foul a tank faster than you can keep up with, but otherwise don't require a lot of maintenance.

And the really neat thing is the oddity of the 4 eyes... every kid that stops over likes to see them... and the mudskippers in the same tank make it all the more exciting!

If you don't have a brackish tank I really encourage trying one. With the effect of salt on potential diseases and some of the neat things you can keep... puffers, anableps, mudskippers, and more.... it's fun with even less work than freshwater and nowhere near the requirements of saltwater.

Happy fishing!
    Mike

Thread Information