Thread: Conjugal visits in Prison anyone have pros and cons?

Monster Fish GCAS Member

Conjugal visits in Prison anyone have pros and cons?

Hey folks, I am doing a persuasive speech in a week or two and my topic is "the pros of Conjugal Visits in Prison"... Allthough, I am very much against the idea, I have been chosen to try and persuade folks to agree with these types of visits for prisoners... If you have any positive thoughts as to why these visits should be placed in our prison system please feel free to share them.... I need all the ideas, I can get...
    Thank You In Advance,
    Mark Plunkett
    Mark Plunkett
    Richmond, Indiana
    www.worldofcichlids.com

Wild Caught
    Mark,
    Wadidja do, and how long did the judge give you?

Couldn't help it...the door was open.
    Seriously, I don't have any positive thoughts on the subject. Those who know me and my hours at work understand why I'm trying to get conjugal visits in the workplace
    Proper planning and education are the keys to a successful aquarium.
    "Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park
    http://cichlidresearch.com/hybrids.html

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    Nah, man this is just for my communications class. I have to do a speech in support of these types of visits in prison...
    Mark Plunkett
    Richmond, Indiana
    www.worldofcichlids.com

Wild Caught
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawinut
    Seriously, I don't have any positive thoughts on the subject. Those who know me and my hours at work understand why I'm trying to get conjugal visits in the workplace
    Don't these always happen at the company Xmas party? That's what TV taught me

Seriously, though, take the angle that the prison system is about rehabilitation, not simply punishment. By isolating prisoners and forcing them to, how shall we say, suppress natural behaviors, you run the risk of making them less fit to assimilate into society at the end of their prison term.

Or you could argue that the prison system does not trump the sacred rite of marriage (which our country wants to defend so vigorously...), and therefore, despite being incarcerated, the judicial system has no right to take away the "benefits" of being married. Or going back to the first part, having a prisoner in a committed relationship will give them something to cling to that will hopefully help them avoid recidivism.

Was that so hard?
    In this hobby, I've learned that you can never ask the question "Why?" too many times.

Monster Fish GCAS Member
    BUMP
    Mark Plunkett
    Richmond, Indiana
    www.worldofcichlids.com

Wild Caught
    To an inmate usually no matter how rough and tough they are the most important thing to them is family visits. Seeing their spouse and/or children is the highlite of the month for many. Prison is supposed to punish as well as rehabilitate. The problem is the rehabilitation is very light and the punishment is very heavy. Inmates are forced into unnature conditions for their term then expected to return to normal society as if nothing happened. How can we as a society expect to treat people like animals (or worse than animals) and then be disappointed when they do not properly assimilate back into polite society. Maintaining normal family and martial bonds would be a vast improvement from the many men who become homosexual while in prison then come out and have to act like nothing happened.
    Conjugal visits should be reserved for those who act properly and are not a threat to their partner nor others. Treating people like people instead of just another number might give them a better chance to return to society and be productive.
    Danielle
    2009 ACA Publications Chairperson

Thread Information