Osmocote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osmocote

Hey planted tank people, I have a question. My plants arenít doing too well. Anubas, java fern are doing decent. My Amazon swords are melting and the jungle Val isnít doing much at all. I have 2 48in led light strips, pool filter sand, a little eco-complete added to base of plants. No CO2. I have been dozing leaf zone fertilizer but it doesnít seem to be doing much. I have heard of people using osmocote in capsules, anyone using them?

Hello,

Sorry to hear your plants are not doing well. First, how long have you had the swords and the jungle val? I have some swords I had bought and it took them 3 months to look good and about one month for my val.

I am not familiar with Osmocote specifically. However, something that I have had happen to my vallisneria and sagittaria is that with adding ferts to the water has caused mine to melt back and I have heard other people say that online as well.

The beauty of the plants that you had picked out is that even though they may enjoy some fertilization they by no means need to have any. The only thing that I use for my plants is epsom salt. Epsom salt, or Magnesium Sulphate, I have seen help my plants and seems to keep them happy. Why I use it is because one thing a plant needs to produce energy and live is a protein called Chlorophyll, and at the center of the protein a Magnesium ion is present holding the structure together. So by adding this Epsom salt you are adding one of the more important ions into the aquarium and allowing the plants to possibly make more chlorophyll so that it can make more energy and grow bigger.

Hope this long message helps and good luck!
    Brandon Miner HAP Chair
    bdmminer@gmail.com

Comment

Awesome, I have a 125 gallon. How much epsom salt do you add and how often do you add it?

Comment

What I have done is about a teaspoon every 10 gallons, and maybe every other to every third water change.
        Brandon Miner HAP Chair
        bdmminer@gmail.com

Comment

Vals and swords are heavy root feeders. Dosing the water will net the results you mention. With a substrate of mainly PFS I've seen/heard most folks use root tabs for their heavy root feeders with success.

All of my planted tanks were dirt tanks so I never really had the need, but there are a number of sites to pick them up from. Once upon a time aquabid would have some pretty decent deals. If you're a DIYer there are a number of recipes out there as well.
          "It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear." -Norm Peterson

Comment

I added 12 teaspoons of epsom salt to my 125 approximately 2 weeks ago. The amazon swords that were melted down to the crown have grown 2 inches and my annubias are starting to bloom. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Glad to hear they are doing well! When your plants start to propagate you can bring them to the meeting and put them in the HAP auction and earn some points towards an award!
              Brandon Miner HAP Chair
              bdmminer@gmail.com

Comment

Will the Epsom salt harm the fish in your tanks.

Comment

Apparently not, I havenít seen any Iíll affects

Comment

I have been doing for years with no problems, the only time you may find issues is if you are working with fish that need very low hardness.

The epsom salt, when dissolved will increase your hardness but that is the only thing I have seen, so if you have Panda Uaru or a Santoperca species (I am only familiar with low hardness cichlids) or a different species of fish that requires RO water I would not use it.
                    Brandon Miner HAP Chair
                    bdmminer@gmail.com

Comment

This is the 1st time I have had an anubia flower

Comment

The picture didn't show up for me, but...

That flower is worth 10 extra points when you want to HAP anubias in the future just print out the pic (doesn't need to be special) and attach it to your HAP form and bring it to the meeting with the plant.

Also it would be a great picture to send to the POTM chair and you can have it entered in the POTM contest as well!
                        Brandon Miner HAP Chair
                        bdmminer@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X