No announcement yet.

ADA 60P & 24" BML 10k LED (New Member)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA 60P & 24" BML 10k LED (New Member)

After spending the better half of this year on my first tank (54 gallon corner bowfront), experimenting with lighting, pressurized CO2, various plant types and difficulties, my fiancee has finally given me "permission" to invest in some name brand stuff.

Just got my new ADA 60P and 24" BML 20k LED in, along with 18L of Amazonia. Next order will be an Eheim 2213 filter with an inline Hydor heater. Already have an existing pressurized CO2 system with my 54g that I'm taking and putting with this new ADA tank. Final order, when I manage to save up, will be for lily pipes to complete the whole look.

Going with a nature style tank, with a little color thrown in the mid and background. Using existing manzanita I have (the picture below of my dining room, the tank on the right has the main piece that will I be cutting up and sanding to mimic a stump with roots, along with another stump I have from my first aquascape attempt).

Plant list so far:
    Either Monte Carlo or UG (foreground carpet)
    Hydrocotyle Tripartita (midground and mixed in around the manzanita roots)
    Rotala Indica True (kept trimmed low and scattered in midground)
    Cabomba Purple (background)
    Fissidens Fontanus (painting the manzanita during a dry start)
    Taiwan Moss
    Riccia (on stones)

Having a hard time deciding on background filler plants, so this is the part I need help on lol.

Ignore the uncut garden mat....I had no idea that the ADA mat made specifically for the 60P still had to be cut lol.

Fish list:
    6 Celestial Pearl Danios
    4 Siamese Algae Eater
    Pumpkin Shrimp (the CPDs, SAE, and shrimp I already have in my 54g)
    Want to add a pair of Peacock Gudgeons and school of rainbow endlers as well.

Will post more pics when I have time to get my hardscape started. Have a lot of manzanita to go through and play with to decide which pieces will work best for my idea. Along with a lot of black lava rock I need to clean, using these to help build up some hills, especially under the roots and stumps.

Good stuff man and you picked a fiancee well

If you need the moss I have a bunch in a tank just growing out.

Comment

Originally posted by UDGags View Post
      Good stuff man and you picked a fiancee well

If you need the moss I have a bunch in a tank just growing out.
      Yeah she's pretty awesome...and I'm slowly getting her into it as well. She has a 6 gallon Fluval Edge with a lot of my trimmings in it, along with some false jewel killifish and RCS lol. She wants a 22 long rimless tank next.

What kind of moss? I only have experience with pilo, taiwan, riccia, and fissidens. Not a fan of java, but would be willing to try out anything other than that.
      Last edited by PsymonPsays; 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I have Taiwan....its what you had listed above that's why I mentioned it. I got it in a trade over a year ago and just been sitting in an inch of water for a year.

Comment

Oh nice. I might have to take you up on that if you want to throw me some prices. I'm more looking for more fissidens, and possibly mini Xmas and/or mini fissidens though. I have a lot of taiwan moss still, but want to go with smaller fronds for painting the driftwood. My taiwan moss grows like a weed and bushes out massively, which might throw off the perspective im going for in the new build lol.

I did just take advantage of a nice black friday sale on CO2Art, and got 25% off on a nice lily pipe set I've been wanting.

Comment

Think I got my final hardscape done. Gonna let it sit for a few days to make sure I don't change my mind. Pictures on the left are what I started with, pics on the right is the final scape. Think I did a decent job of capturing two moods depending on angle. When glancing down while standing and on the move, gives a view of the "wild" and chaotic form of the roots. Sitting and viewing at eye level, gives more of a serene, calming and flowing feel with all the empty/negative space.

I've always been a fan of the stump/root look of nature style tanks, so I fashioned what I could out of a bunch of huge manzanita branches, and pretty happy with how it came out. Have plenty of black lava rock under the stump to create crevices for some plants too. Probably gonna stuff some anubias nana petite and a few buces, maybe a few small crypts into the rocks around the stump, fully carpet with monte carlo, with random groupings of rotala indica true. Having a hard time on picking background, as I dont want just all stems like a dutch style layout. Might do a bunch of val behind the stump, along with a mix of different cabomba colors in the background.
            Last edited by PsymonPsays; 11-28-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Redid my scape. Piled up lava rocks underneath the aquasoil to build up more elevation, added a few extra pieces of manzanita. Plants got here a day early so I was kind of rushed trying to get a hardscape I liked. The cup of TC monte carlo was already looking rough, but ahead with the dry start anyways. Hope it recovers. Gonna try to carpet everything but the back with a single cup of it. Also picked several baby anubias nana plants that I started stuffing into the crevices under the stump.

Comment

Been a while since I posted an update on this tank. Tank has been through so many transitions already in the few months it's been up and running. Swapped out many different stem types, and finally settled on all rotala types. Right now I'm keeping rotala pearl mini (two types), macrandra variegated, colorata, true indica, rotundifolia, ramosior florida, ramosior sunset, butterfly mini. My other plants that made the cut are blyxa japonica, fissidens fontanus (and LOTS of it...love this moss), microswords, hydrocotyl tripartita, and a monte carlo carpet.

Upgraded to a new dual stage regulator, in-line diffusor. Upped my lighting periods to two 4 hour periods with a 4 hour break in between, and cranked it up to 75% which should put about 115 PAR at the substrate. Increased lighting with better CO2 saturation = beautiful pearling within an hour of lights kicking on.

Still learning how to best groom stems, and have been spending the last month replanting stem tops. Still trying to learn better ways to bring more color out of my easier stems, and so far have only managed to bring a lot of bronze and light reds out of my blyxa lol. Have also been battling GSA and BBA. GSA went away with higher dosing (probably due to higher phosphates), and BBA is slowly going away now that my CO2 is more stable.

I also have a rather large colony (about 30) of beautiful crystal red shrimp now, along with a group of amanos, all helping keep it clean. Picked up 6 otos as well, and probably going to be moving my celestial pearl danios to a different tank.
                Last edited by PsymonPsays; 04-07-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I have a small portion of Xmas mini moss u can have
                  But not sure how much longer I'll have
                  danellis1229@gmail.com or text 513-484-144 nine if you want a quick response much easier than pms for me
                  and please remember to support our sponsors

Comment

You won't be able to bring out much more color on the blyxa. The butterfly mini color is highly dependent on your trimming schedule. So if you're aiming for a FTS you need to time it almost perfect. It gave me the most hassle on my 125g to get the color right.

I like the Fissidens on the wood. Looks really good. I plan on using some of this in my new scape.

Comment

Originally posted by UDGags View Post
                      You won't be able to bring out much more color on the blyxa. The butterfly mini color is highly dependent on your trimming schedule. So if you're aiming for a FTS you need to time it almost perfect. It gave me the most hassle on my 125g to get the color right.

I like the Fissidens on the wood. Looks really good. I plan on using some of this in my new scape.

Yeah I was told I was actually starving nitrates if I'm getting that kind of color out of blyxa, even though through fert dosing I keep nitrates at around 30ppm? The butterfly mini is definitely a challenge so far. I got one stem as a bonus in a package I ordered recently, and it acclimated and took off immediately, doubled in growth in the first week it was in. And now after I trimmed it it's starting to go to crap. Glad you mentioned the trimming schedule, because its the only stem I have that reacted like this after trimming. My florida, sunset, and mac. variegated all did fine the first time trimming and all kept beautiful colors. What's your advice on determining when to trim it?

Comment

I let my mini-butterfly get about 6-8" before trimming. The new shoots get a deep red, great for pictures.As it grows it will get a duller red/yellowish color(at least mine did). It grew like a weed just was hard to keep the darker red color.

I think the coloring on your blyxa is from higher light. It looks just like mine did.

Comment

Working...
                        X