• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt question

if i was to do a 40 breeder fish only what equipment would i need
    and what fish would u recommend

just thinking
    danellis1229@gmail.com or text 513-484-144 nine if you want a quick response much easier than pms for me
    and please remember to support our sponsors

Nothing that gets to big or too mean. Clowns are great and no, you don't need an anenome. Small angels or Coral Beauty. I like Royal Grammas. Most Tangs get too big and too territorial for a 40. Post this on Cincy Reef as well. You can get by with regular lights. I ran mine for ten years on a shop light. You can also go without a sump or a refugium if it is fish only. Cleaner Shrimp or Peppermint Shrimp are fun to watch and feed.

Comment

Just to add to Mark's post, you should get a protein skimmer as well, they make HOB types. Should have about 10-40 pounds of live rock. And use crushed coral or Aragonite substrate. But the biggest thing you need is patience. And then you will need more patience. Oh another thing, did I say you will need patience yet? Well you will. The cycle time on a SW tank is 4-10 times as long as a FW tank. And you only want to add one or two small fish at a time to the tank and let the cycle catch up with it.

Fish;
      one or two clowns. If you get two small ones no worry, you will end up with a pair. Clowns can change their sexes as they grow.

One small angel.

Grammas can have one or two.

Really anything under 3 inches.

Then you only want to have about a total of about 14 inches of fish, unless you plan on doing more than usual water changes. You know the old saying for FW fish is one inch to one gal of water? Well with SW fish the old saying is one inch of fish for every 3 gals of water.

Water changes; You will need a large garbage can (about 40 gal) to mix the water and salt in. A power head to help mix the "new" SW. A heater to pre-heat it to same temp as aquarium water. A pump to pump it into the tank once it is mixed well.

That's pretty much the basic start.
      There is always a bigger fish. . . . . .

Comment

Is live rock required. ..
        Dan hope u dont mind me asking this here....its very related to your question

Bit by the saltwater bug.... wanted to do a dry run... start small 29 gallon tank... one or two clownfish... hopefully thats not over stocking. .... doing the math on the cost

1. Do we need the live rock
        2. Will just live sand work instead...planning on just a hob filter to start with
        3. How much water change every month (trying to calculate cost in salt )
        4. Any source to get cheap live rock and live sand...fish

Want to try something small before getting a bigger setup

thank you
        Last edited by rvs; 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

1. no you dont have to have it, but you do need something for biological filtration. live rock is best because of the amount of surface area it offers is very large. you can start with dry rock and cycle it, and tada it becomes "live rock"
          2. live sand is ok to start seeding. i like to use dry sand and dry rock. i add bacterial additives, like bio spira or dr tims. if used correctly u get a decent cycle in a few weeks to 30 days. not needed tho just makes cycle a bit faster. dont expect it to work overnight tho. makes the cycle a bit less harsh for addition of a few fish early.
          3. i do 5 gallons a week on my 29 and sometimes i get lazy and go every two. i have a bunch of sps and lps corals w no problems. i dont run a skimmer.
          4. craigslist and club members would be cheapest.

Comment

also a couple clowns would be fine. a lot of people frown upon it but they will help w the cycle. expect parameter fluctuations for 4 to 6 months but decent params u can get in about 30 days. after u get diatoms add crabs and snails. u will get a bad algae outbreak after that but it will go away as soon as it comes. then u should b fine to add more fish and shrimp. dont b intimidated, its not as hard as people think. just dont use salt water to add for evaporation top off. only use water. remember salt doesnt evaporate.good luck
            Last edited by ACE; 10-21-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
              Might be a stupid question. ....does the hob power filter not provide enough biological filtration... or maybe sponge filters.... are they a no no in saltwater tanks

Comment

I have run a sponge filter in my fry tanks for clown fish and I also know people who will run a HOB filter. Eventually, you should get a skimmer. I did rung my 75 gallon for years with out one, but I had a 36 in HOB refugium built on it. Your best bet for biological filteration is probably going to be live rock and a sump.

Comment

Live rock is great. Not only for the obvious reasons, but it gives the decor for the fish to move around. I highly recommend the skimmer. You will be able to do less frequently water changes, as your skimmer will be removing much of the "stuff" that gets broken down and eventually turns to nitrates (reason for water changes). Also, look for some good macro-algae, as this will also help in the reduction of nitrates. The macro-algae grows on the nitrates. Thus, as it starts to take over your tank and such, just grab a couple hand fulls and throw it away, or give it to others in need of it. Easy way to remove and/or control nitrate build up in a SW tank. Many of the macro-algaes are attractive tank decor. If you go with the refugium or sump, you can always put a light on it, and grow some macro-algae there as well.

As for the HOB filters in SW, they really only do two things; one they create more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. And two, they create water movement. They really do not remove anything with their filters. I have used them many times before with SW. I have never had to change a filter pad in them ever.

IMO, the best fish to start the cycle with, is the Blue Chromis. These fish are very hearty compared to most, and they are about the most inexpensive SW fish out there. And, most stores will even buy them back from you a few months down the line. That is if you don't want them anymore. They are a pretty fish in small and larger schools.

HTH...
                  There is always a bigger fish. . . . . .

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Hmmm...... to be or not to be is the question.

Comment

http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/rh...82927.mp4.html

Thats the tank and and fish... thanks for the help

Comment

looks good!

Comment

Thanks..... next step add some macro algae. ....any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Btw.....way cooler than freshwater... hope i don't get run out of town for saying so. ....

Comment

cheato is a good and now there are quite a few display macros like dragons breath ect. it looks neat and helps w filtration. and dont worry you will never truely leave freshwater.....u will be back lol

Comment

Working...
                              X