started a topic salt question

salt question

if i was to do a 40 breeder fish only what equipment would i need
    and what fish would u recommend

just thinking

• rvs
    replied
    29 gallon update ..2 months
    Fish doing gr8... added a few corals soft and lps a month ago.. all doing gr8 (so far).. added a cleanup crew... ricks now getting a good green and pick hue (pink from coraline algae)
    Amazing experience... watching the corals do their thing... the clownfish.... and all the tiny micro star fish which hitch hiked with the corals.

Leave a comment:

• ACE
    replied
    mine grows best under 65k, but no special light is needed, just may grow slower, and seems cheato likes high amounts of light at times
    Last edited by ACE; 11-18-2015, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    Last question (for the day ) does it need special lights?

Originally posted by ACE View Post
    its cheap, check with monfort they usually have a few different kinds of macro. if its in the display i usually wedge it between rocks

Leave a comment:

• ACE
    replied
    its cheap, check with monfort they usually have a few different kinds of macro. if its in the display i usually wedge it between rocks

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    I have a 60 gallon african male hap and peacock tank and a 55 electric blue acara tank.... so still predominantly freshwater.

Btw got 6 electric blue acara from ed gray about 4 months ago... have gotten 2 pairs forming. Beautiful fish. ...would strongly recommend folks try these ( from ed)

Where can i buy some cheato..is it expensive
    Is it too early to add... just tie some to a rock?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ACE
    replied
    cheato is a good and now there are quite a few display macros like dragons breath ect. it looks neat and helps w filtration. and dont worry you will never truely leave freshwater.....u will be back lol

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    Btw.....way cooler than freshwater... hope i don't get run out of town for saying so. ....

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    Thanks..... next step add some macro algae. ....any advice is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ACE
    replied
    looks good!

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/rh...82927.mp4.html

Thats the tank and and fish... thanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    Thanks for all the info

Hmmm...... to be or not to be is the question.

Leave a comment:

• ACIDRAIN
    replied
    Live rock is great. Not only for the obvious reasons, but it gives the decor for the fish to move around. I highly recommend the skimmer. You will be able to do less frequently water changes, as your skimmer will be removing much of the "stuff" that gets broken down and eventually turns to nitrates (reason for water changes). Also, look for some good macro-algae, as this will also help in the reduction of nitrates. The macro-algae grows on the nitrates. Thus, as it starts to take over your tank and such, just grab a couple hand fulls and throw it away, or give it to others in need of it. Easy way to remove and/or control nitrate build up in a SW tank. Many of the macro-algaes are attractive tank decor. If you go with the refugium or sump, you can always put a light on it, and grow some macro-algae there as well.

As for the HOB filters in SW, they really only do two things; one they create more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. And two, they create water movement. They really do not remove anything with their filters. I have used them many times before with SW. I have never had to change a filter pad in them ever.

IMO, the best fish to start the cycle with, is the Blue Chromis. These fish are very hearty compared to most, and they are about the most inexpensive SW fish out there. And, most stores will even buy them back from you a few months down the line. That is if you don't want them anymore. They are a pretty fish in small and larger schools.

HTH...

Leave a comment:

• Mark J.
    replied
    I have run a sponge filter in my fry tanks for clown fish and I also know people who will run a HOB filter. Eventually, you should get a skimmer. I did rung my 75 gallon for years with out one, but I had a 36 in HOB refugium built on it. Your best bet for biological filteration is probably going to be live rock and a sump.

Leave a comment:

• rvs
    replied
    Thanks for all the info.
    Might be a stupid question. ....does the hob power filter not provide enough biological filtration... or maybe sponge filters.... are they a no no in saltwater tanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X